The last food warning of the moment involves most of our foods, especially those recommended, moreover, as part of the healthiest diets … The offending ingredient: the lectin. We make the point and we dramatize.
Here we are! If definitively excluding animal flesh from our plates is a salutary development, eliminating the gluten that sticks on the intestinal walls and weakens them is an elementary proof of common sense – as well as the eviction of processed and chemically treated products that we poison – the list of dietary contraindications has gone on like a day without bread since the revelations of American cardiologist Steven Gundry * about the toxicity of lectins on our body. But, in reality, all rebound effects overlap.
However, do not panic about the effects of lectins on the body, because the means of rebalancing are real without the need, first and second intention, to do without all sources of lectins, many are those which, moreover, have obvious benefits on health.
What is a lectin?
Lectin is a sticky protein, of which gluten is the best known today, which binds to certain carbohydrates and insulin receptors . Now all plants contain it. They are naturally produced by plants to protect themselves from predators (animals and humans) that they poison in order to dissuade them from eating them. Meat is also provided, especially if the animals are fed with cereals, super-lectin bomb if they are genetically modified (soy, wheat, corn …). A-1 milk casein is also concerned since it increases the lectin during digestion.
Contrary to what man thinks, most plants and animals are not meant to be eaten by him! As a result, our cellular messengers have learned to treat more or less skillfully with this anti-nutrient (which can not be digested by enzymes) that is the lectin. To a certain extent, from which messages get confused and our body ignites .
Lectins and histamine: the time bomb
The toxic process of lectins in the body can not be understood without linking it to that of histamine. Chemical mediator secreted, inter alia, by the globules bancs, the histamine is released as soon as the organism is in contact with a foreign element which it does not manage to metabolize (antinutrients, allergens). This is the case of lectins.
Too much allergen increases the production of histamine, which loses its usefulness to become harmful. The sticky consistency of the lectins can modify or block the communication between the cells and generate, under the effect of massively released histamine, a toxic reaction responsible for inflammations, lesions and bacterial infections. But in the processed and industrial diet, which most modern cereals, lectins and carbohydrates in general are present in quantities … industrial.
Lifestyle and modern pathologies
Let’s add chemical pollution, pesticides, a sedentary lifestyle , excessive drug intake (to cure these modern ailments and actually put oil on the fire), so that our body is at the end of the road. Our cell phone is out of order. For lack of radars, the bacteria have the free way in all our internal system. First victims: insulin receptors and our microbiota (intestinal and oral). Hence the epidemic of chronic diseases today: polyarthritis , diabetes , overweight, hypertension , autoimmune and digestive diseases, heart problems, depression(Stress promotes the release of histamine to fight against that, massive, cortisol ) … These diseases require the stopping of high lectin foods and carbohydrates to relieve patients, confirm the research of Dr. Steven Gundry.
How to defend against lectins (and histamine overdose)
Mucus, stomach acid and oral and intestinal bacteria, essential for trapping lectins and preventing inflammation, are undermined by our lifestyles. Much more than the radical exclusion of lectins, the first precaution to take is to ensure the general balance of our microbiota . Otherwise, the bacteriological inflammation spreads throughout our body. Not to mention that stress and emotional overload are also oxidizing. To maintain or regain your balance, here are some dietary keys:
- Make a health check of the gut microbiota, if you have symptoms such as physical and nervous fatigue, dermatitis , headache, difficulty to lose weight despite a dietary restriction.
- Eliminate industrial fast sugars. This makes it possible to consume, in small daily doses, gluten-free cereals, organic and complete, sources of vitamins of proteins and fibers, but also carbon hydrates (in the form of slow sugars). We have our dose of sugar, it is more than enough!
- Soak overnight and cook legumes and cereals for a long time : this process facilitates the digestion of some of the lectins of beans, peas, lentils … which contain a lot of them.
- Exclude soy, legumes and grains and genetically modified (corn, wheat). Although they are almost all, recent GMOs are particularly deleterious to the body. Soy is very strongly dosed in lectins.
- Avoid tomatoes, whose skin and seeds are loaded with lectins and are difficult to digest, as well as other Solanaceae (peppers, aubergines, peppers …) In summer, organic and local consumption (which applies to all fruits and vegetables), the preservation methods put in place as soon as there is a long transport and a storage from one season to the other, increase the digestive difficulties of the lectins.
- Eliminate deli meats and mature cheeses , which are very allergenic.
- Never eat undercooked beans, and what’s more, raw! (which seems to make sense …) The lectins they contain are a poison when they are not cooked ( diarrhea and vomiting guaranteed).
- Forget the milk! (the body only needs it until the age of 3 months …)
- No microwaves and commercially prepared meals ; the latter are, most of the time, stuffed with lectins and added sugars, and often pass in the microwave which aggravates their case.
- Alcohol and coffee are to be avoided … Acidifiers, they affect the microbiota and unbalance the bacterial flora that kills some of the lectins.
- Peanuts are to be banned : their lectins are indestructible, which explains its reputation of massive allergen.
- The cocktail “lipids / carbohydrates”: danger! This classic industrial diet, is a major factor of obesity and diabetes and cardiovascular diseases (carbohydrates alter insulin receptors that does not destroy enough fat, the association is explosive.)
- Chew food well , so that saliva and oral bacteria can fulfill their pre-digestive role of lectins
Drugs that disrupt the microbiota
Mucus (intestinal, oral and nasal), stomach acid and oral and intestinal bacteria are essential for trapping lectins. But they are also undermined by taking certain medications (gastrointestinal disruptors). During the period of treatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (except aspirin), PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) and antacids, it is better to avoid lectins and carbohydrates to limit the damage .
Other intestinal disruptors: Artificial sweeteners (they kill half of the intestinal flora); pesticides and GMOs. The list is not exhaustive: the blue light of computers is also incriminated.